SPORTS

Joel Garner hits out a CARICOM move to dissolve WICB

April 09, 2016

Barbados Cricket Association president, Joel Garner, has hit out at the Caricom-commissioned governance panel's controversial recommendation that the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) be dissolved.

 

Garner, the legendary former West Indies fast bowler and a current WICB director, questioned the practicality of the proposed move, contending that all the boards which comprised the regional governing body were legitimate legal entities and, therefore, they could not be simply struck down.

 

"My questions are: Is the BCA which was constituted by an act of Parliament in 1933, an illegal entity and my selection as president of the BCA an illegal act?" Garner said, while speaking at the BCA's quarterly meeting in Barbados on Saturday.

 

"So I have to ask the question: Is the GCB (Guyana Cricket Board) an illegal entity? Is the Jamaica Cricket (Association) an illegal entity? Is the Leeward Islands Cricket Association an illegal entity? Is the Windward Islands Cricket Board an illegal entity? Is the TTCB (Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board) an illegal entity?"

 

He continued: "If they are so, they have all been established in countries in which the prime ministers are making noise and they have to tell the public of the region if these entities are illegal, how they were able to remain vibrant for so long."

 

In proposing the dissolution of the WICB, the governance panel also recommended the appointment of an interim board "whose structure and composition will be radically different from the now proven, obsolete governance framework".

 

And while Caribbean Community and Common Market (Caricom) heads have embraced the recommendation and resolved to ensure its implementation, the WICB, headed by President Dave Cameron, has rejected it as an "unnecessary and intrusive demand".

 

The board also slammed the report as "limited in scope", arguing that the panel's investigations had "triggered findings and recommendations … which are not supported by the facts".

 

"The dissolution of the board is simply not a viable legal or practical option and carries a major financial risk which the panel either ignored or was unaware of," the WICB told Caricom in a written response earlier this year.

 

Last month, Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Keith Rowley said Caricom was soliciting legal advice on the "legal position" of the West Indies cricket.

ICC clears off-spinner Narine to resume bowling

April 08, 2016

Cricket’s world governing body, the ICC, announced late Thursday it had cleared Sunil Narine to bowl again, paving the way for the West Indies off-spinner to participate in the cash-rich Indian Premier League (IPL) starting today.

 

The 27-year-old successfully underwent tests at the Sri Ramachandra University in Chennai on March 28, after spending months remodelling his action.

 

“The International Cricket Council (ICC) today confirmed that, following remedial work and retest, the bowling action of the West Indies’ Sunil Narine has been found to be legal, and the off-spinner can now resume bowling in both international cricket and domestic cricket events worldwide,” an ICC statement said.

 

“At the retest, it was revealed that the amount of elbow extensions in Narine’s bowling action for all his deliveries that were tested was within the 15-degree level of tolerance permitted under the ICC regulations for the review of bowlers reported with suspected illegal bowling actions.”

 

However, the ICC said that umpires were “free to report Narine in the future if they believe he uses a suspect action”.

Dwayne Bravo lambasts West Indies Cricket Board

April 05, 2016

Star all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has joined his captain Darren Sammy in the attack on the West Indies Cricket Board calling it the "most unprofessional" in the world and expressed doubts about a resolution being reached between the players and WICB on their pay dispute in the near future.

 

Bravo, who has had several run-ins with the WICB in the past, made the comments following the West Indies triumph in the World T20 in India. "Too many times people come down on the players. They questioned our commitment, they questioned whether we were really committed to West Indies cricket or is it just the money. A lot of people don't understand the things we go through as players dealing with our board. It is the most unprofessional board in the world to me,"

 

Bravo was quoted as making the comments during a Skype interview with CNC3, a television network based out of Trinidad & Tobago.

WICB vice president blasts Darren Sammy's comments as 'demeaning, insulting'

April 04, 2016

West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) vice president Emmanuel Nanthan on Tuesday launched a major broadside against Darren Sammy, 48 hours after he led the West Indies into the history books by becoming the first team to capture the T20 World Cup twice.

 

Nanthan has blasted as "irrelevant, demeaning, insulting and unfortunate" the comments Sammy made after the West Indies pulled off a stunning four-wicket victory over England to seal the title.

 

Sammy courted controversy when he hit out at the WICB for its lack of support and praised Prime Minister of Grenada Keith Mitchell and CARICOM for messages of support which inspired his team.

 

“So to try to make it look like the board was inefficient in any way is rather unfortunate,” Nanthan said on Tuesday. “To spoil what was a tremendous achievement for the Caribbean civilization with comments that are totally irrelevant and demeaning and insulting to the Caribbean people. I believe was rather unfortunate."

 

Sammy’s comments were also made against the backdrop of the players’ contracts dispute with the WICB prior to the start of the tournament back in February, which threatened the side’s participation.

Sammy acted as the players’ representative during the brief impasse and while he assured the Caribbean then that the West Indies would commit to playing the tournament, he also hinted that the issues were far from settled.

West Indies jubilant in victory over England

April 02, 2016

West Indies' Carlos Brathwaite smashed a remarkable four successive sixes in the last over as they beat England by four wickets to win their second World Twenty20 title on Sunday.

 

Brathwaite's heroics alongside Marlon Samuels, who remained unbeaten on 85, saw West Indies, the 2012 champions, win with two balls to spare, sparking jubilant scenes at Eden Park in the Indian city of Kolkata.

 

Put in to bat, 2010 champions England rode Joe Root's 54 to post 155 for nine wickets in their 20 overs as Dwayne Bravo and Brathwaite picked up three wickets apiece for the West Indies. Chasing 156 to win, 27-year-old Brathwaite made an undefeated 34 off 10 balls.

 

"I can't really express how much of a top knock [by Samuels] that was. We couldn't turn back, it was a question of when, not if," said Brathwaite.

West Indies women win Twenty20 Final

April 02, 2016

 

West Indies claimed their first Women's World Twenty20 with a pulsating eight-wicket win over Australia in Kolkata.

 

Australia, seeking a fourth successive World T20 title, chose to bat and posted 148-5, with Elyse Villani making the first half century in a final.

 

But 18-year-old Windies opener Hayley Matthews hit a stunning 66 off 45 balls with three sixes, in a stand of 120.

 

The Windies won with three balls to spare and their men's team later completed a T20 double.

West Indies had lost all of their eight previous T20 internationals against Australia and in their first final they made a nervous start bowling at the iconic Eden Gardens.

West Indies beat India to reach Twenty20 Final

March 30, 2016

The West Indies clinched their place in the final of the World Twenty20 on Thursday with a stunning seven-wicket victory over the hosts India at Mumbai’s Wankhede stadium.

 

Lendl Simmons top-scored with an unbeaten 82 as the West Indies reached their target of 193 with two balls remaining.

 

They will now play England on Sunday in the final at Kolkata’s Eden Gardens, with both teams bidding to become the first sides to win the tournament twice.

Regional youth netballers converge on Barbados

March 30, 2016

The Jean Pierre Youth Netball Championship is set to be held in Barbados on April 2nd.

 

Each year over 300 young netballers and officials from several countries participate in these Championships, which started in 1998 and held annually in a different Caribbean territory.

 

The main objective is to foster the physical, social and emotional development of the people of the Caribbean, through sports, social activities and life skills programmes.

 

There are sixteen countries that are eligible to participate, namely Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Is. Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, and Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos.

West Indies women beat men to Twenty20 Finals

March 30, 2016

West Indies Women will meet Australia in their first World Twenty20 final after a six-run victory over New Zealand.

 

Britney Cooper hit a 48-ball 61 as West Indies made 143-6 batting first, while Sophie Devine picked up 4-22.

 

New Zealand began well in reply, but lost their leading run-scorers Devine and Suzie Bates in the seventh over.Sara McGlashan and Amy Satterthwaite put on 59, but Stafanie Taylor's three late wickets proved crucial as the White Ferns subsided to 137-8.

 

West Indies, who have never won a global title in the women's game, will play Australia in Kolkata on Sunday in a rematch of the 2013 World Cup final.

Jamaica to honour CARIFTA participants

March 30, 2016

The Government is to honour Jamaica’s athletes and swimmers who performed outstandingly at the recently concluded CARIF Games, held from March 23 to 28 in Martinique and Grenada.

 

Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport Olivia Grange made the announcement during a press conference held at the VIP lounge of the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston to welcome home the youngsters.

 

Jamaica topped the table with 86 medals during the 45th staging of the track and field competition in Grenada, from March 26 to 28. The tally comprised 42 Gold; 28 Silver; and 18 Bronze medals.

Bermuda confirms athletes for elite invitational meet

March 29, 2016

The Bermuda National Athletics Association [BNAA] has announced the names of the local and international elite athletes that are set to compete in the Bermuda Invitational Permit Meet which will take place at the National Sports Centre on Friday, April 22, 2016 from 6:30pm to 8:30pm.

 

The meet will see some of Bermuda’s own elite athletes compete against top track and field athletes from USA, Jamaica, Trinidad, Canada, Bermuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Nigeria, Guyana, Turkey and Puerto Rico.

Please reload